Rickman's in Doncaster Area-gctid194

Post you spotted's here - it may be another member !
Ex_Member

Rickman's in Doncaster Area-gctid194

Post by Ex_Member »

Got another Rickman Ranger my 4th over the years, is there any one else in the Doncaster Area with one. I sold my others over the past 6 years or so. If any of you out there still have them would love to know how they are going on. One was a Space Ranger fitted with full leather De-Loren seats, my name is Basham

Ex_Member

Rickman's in Doncaster Area-gctid650

Post by Ex_Member »

Hi neighbour, I should be less than 10 miles away, its good to know there are others in the area.

Simon_Admin
Rickman Guru

Rickman's in Doncaster Area-gctid1003

Post by Simon_Admin »

My goodness a RCOC local meeting !

(in a phone box) ;D
RCOC Forum Coordinator

Previous Builds : Robin Hood S7 1600GT, Stylus 1800 Zetec, Rickman 2L Petrol, Rickman 1800 TD
Current : 70's bungalow stuck in the 70's, TVR 400SE "Wedge" & 1999 VW T4 2.5TDi Camper conversion

Ex_Member

Rickman's in Doncaster Area-gctid1295

Post by Ex_Member »

Hey up :o, here's another one, living on the outskirts of Thorne! I say living, but should say resting :( Just would not start in the recent lousy weather so has been relegated to the back yard for now. Has a 1.6 OHC Cortina engine, which has had the auto choke removed making it a whatsit to start when cold, and it gets very damp very easily. Also very thirsty. Anyone got any suggestions (polite ones preferred) to improve things? I have acquired an electronic spark gizmo,but no chance of fitting it in this rotten weather (no garage to work in). Ho hum, roll on the fine weather :-?

Ex_Member

Rickman's in Doncaster Area-gctid1530

Post by Ex_Member »

1C2B34383F3621590 wrote: Also very thirsty. Anyone got any suggestions (polite ones preferred) to improve things?

How thirsty is "very thirsty" mine's always done 25mpg in spite of going x-flow to carb Pinto, then to injection. It's a lot faster now, but no more economical - hold on there might be some connection there.

It's always worth checking the speedo's in the right ball park, you might just be doing more miles than you think.

T

Ex_Member

Rickman's in Doncaster Area-gctid1729

Post by Ex_Member »

Pretty sure the clock is reading true, have checked over several known distance journeys (before the snow). Consumption has been as little as 18 mpg, but the last check gave just over 20! Maybe it's down to the amount of spare metal it's carrying by way of the roof rack, spare carrier, and kangaroo bars! Will have to wait & see what happens when I've fitted the new electronic module. I might even try out the old Sparkrite 1000 unit I got out of the ark ;D

I guess I've been spoilt with a little FIAT Seicento I had before I got the Ranger.

Simon_Admin
Rickman Guru

Rickman's in Doncaster Area-gctid1901

Post by Simon_Admin »

The 1600 Pinto is a thirsty bit of kit at the best of times, it's not a nice design as the inlet ports are too big for the capacity.

You may also be cursed with a VV carburettor which is also a bit like a bucket with a hole in it, a single choke weber is a better bet.

I had a 1600 pinto in a Robin hood which had a 2L Cam and twin choke weber, back then fuel was cheap (ish) but I'm sure my 4L V8 actually more economical than the 1600 4 pot !
RCOC Forum Coordinator

Previous Builds : Robin Hood S7 1600GT, Stylus 1800 Zetec, Rickman 2L Petrol, Rickman 1800 TD
Current : 70's bungalow stuck in the 70's, TVR 400SE "Wedge" & 1999 VW T4 2.5TDi Camper conversion

Ex_Member

Rickman's in Doncaster Area-gctid2041

Post by Ex_Member »

Hi Ricky, only just noticed your post, a good friend of mine went the auto gas route and doubled his mile per pound, although this is only an option if you do the milage to recoupe your outlay, my mate Jim was back in the black in less than 6 months. Regards Bill in Mexborough. By the way I worked at thorne colliery for 6 years in the 80's.

Ex_Member

Rickman's in Doncaster Area-gctid2161

Post by Ex_Member »

Had considered that Reckless, but think it would be cheaper/easier to swap to a diesel of some kind maybe? And it wouldn't take up the small amount of space there is with four seats. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I assume you were on the maintainance team at Thorne?

Cheers, Rick

Ex_Member

Rickman's in Doncaster Area-gctid2259

Post by Ex_Member »

Hi Ricky, I worked there from 80-86, for a mining contracting firm called amco, deepening the shafts and yes I was on maintenance, still on maintenance now but in a completely different type on industry