Pinto - motocraft electronic ignition

Anything to do with nuts and bolts that is not associated with a build thread
JamesF
Rickman Guru

Pinto - motocraft electronic ignition

Post by JamesF » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:02 pm

Is this an ECU II? It seems to be the type that does the timing and mixture. Just about to start getting my second Ranger on the road. Charged the battery and the unit appears to be dead. Be grateful for any advice on these units.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eOJ0vUQaWAfNkl8l1

Simon_Admin
Rickman Guru

Re: Pinto - motocraft electronic ignition

Post by Simon_Admin » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:13 pm

Hi James,

Is the pipe connected to the carb near the throttle ?

I believe there was rare ECU based ignition that had a map sensor in the ECU which calculated the advance based on engine speed and load rather than using the mechanical / vaccum advance. From memory it was the "ESC" system that was further developed on the CVH & DOHC engines to use coil packs rather than a distributor, but ford being ford they did end up on the Pinto as well.

Have a look at http://nw.rhocar.org/Ford%20ignition%20systems.htm

JamesF
Rickman Guru

Post by JamesF » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:22 pm

Sorry slightly misled you with a typing error - I didn't mean to type ECU II but meant ESC II. It does timing and mixture but not as much as more modern ECUs do.

The reason for the post is that she seems to have gone dead. The car has had to sit for a year. I'm planning to get on with it now but having cleaned off connections and borrow the good battery off the other ranger it seems the ignition unit has died.

What I am trying to find out is how I can turn her back to old fashioned points based system. It seems I need to get a points dizzy and another carb. From what I can deduce neither of these components can be used.

Simon_Admin
Rickman Guru

Post by Simon_Admin » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:02 am

You should be able to go backwards as there was no changes to the block.
A trusty DGV/DGAV from either an early Sierra or Cortina / Capri with matching manifold plus the distributor and coil.
If you can find one the ford Inductive ignition system is the best "oem" solution.

ABurgess
Rickman Fresher

Post by ABurgess » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:11 am

Hi James.

"Powerspark ignition ltd" now do a distributor that has electronic ignition built in. all you need to do is take out the old dizzy replace it with theirs and run a couple of wires to coil & earth etc. a much simpler way to convert. it would be worth investigating their website to see what's on offer. they are at "www.powerspark.co.uk"

Hope this helps Alan.

JamesF
Rickman Guru

Post by JamesF » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:40 pm

ABurgess wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:11 am
Hi James.

"Powerspark ignition ltd" now do a distributor that has electronic ignition built in. all you need to do is take out the old dizzy replace it with theirs and run a couple of wires to coil & earth etc. a much simpler way to convert. it would be worth investigating their website to see what's on offer. they are at "www.powerspark.co.uk"

Hope this helps Alan.
Hmm I have tried their electronic hall effect ignition on my Rialto - quality variable needless to say from China (Alibaba). SimonBBC sells them too... and you don't get an exchange or refund. The machining on the dizzy is poor but variable depending which batch you get. I'd rather get a 2nd hand one and get it reconditioned with 'Distributor Doctor'.

I'm hoping to get mine out tomorrow (bit tight for space) with the Pinto - hoping that I can see how it connects up at present I can't see the wires that are supposed to provide the advance/retard (should be four going into the distributor body.

ABurgess
Rickman Fresher

Post by ABurgess » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:09 pm

Hi James,

I thought the distributor doctor only dealt with Lucas dizzys, unless they are now taking on bosch and motorcraft.

Alan.

JamesF
Rickman Guru

Post by JamesF » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:58 pm

I thought he did them all but since reading your post I've looked on the website and it seems you're correct. I've got several Lucas ones that I could exchange for a Burton's Lucas xflow but not for Pinto. I'll have to hunt ebay and 2nd hand dealers.

LeeSample
Comittee Member

Post by LeeSample » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:41 am

on the white convertible, i run an electronic distributor from Accuspark.

it has been absolutely trouble free for about 3 years so far, and i can't rate the ease of installation highly enough.

the pinto version with vacuum advance can be found here - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Pinto-Co ... Swh2xX~LpQ

and the non vac one - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Pinto-C ... SwNRdX~L8I

for £100 it comes with the dissy, the rotor arm, cap, silicone leads, plugs, and coil. not a bad deal at all!

if the elctronic ignition modules on the other ranger, or the rancher, fail, i WILL be fitting one of these sets.

cheers,

Lee

JamesF
Rickman Guru

Post by JamesF » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:55 pm

ABurgess wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:09 pm
Hi James,

I thought the distributor doctor only dealt with Lucas dizzys, unless they are now taking on bosch and motorcraft.

Alan.
Spoke to him on the phone this week and he does do Motorcraft but not Bosch. Back in the 90s when I had a Scimitar Bosch were highly rated - but now they seem unavailable but no one that I can come across recon Bosch.