Early starts - anyone got "Hot start"

Anything to do with nuts and bolts that is not associated with a build thread
JamesF
Rickman Guru

Early starts - anyone got "Hot start"

Post by JamesF » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:31 pm

I had difficulty starting my car Tue morning 0500. I have replaced the battery but wondered if the carb had iced up. Just wondering if anyone has any tips for icy mornings. There used to be a thing called 'hotstart' (Gunson?) which plumbed into the coolant system and heated it prior to starting - don't think it is available anymore.

I spent today checking over the ignition system, new leads, newish distributor cap and rotor arm, electric fuel pump, checked for dirt in the carb - she wouldn't start and then suddenly fires up. I had an engine once that didn't like damp but not just cold icy conditions.

Simon_Admin
Rickman Guru

Re: Early starts - anyone got "Hot start"

Post by Simon_Admin » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:19 pm

Carb icing in my (bitter) experience occurs after the engine has started as you need the col air flowing through the Venturi to cause the effect, I have a Chevette with a single Weber 40DCOE which was a absolute nightmare on frosty mornings, it would start on the button but within about 5 minutes of setting of it would not idle and you have keep blipping the throttle to keep it alive then if it stalled it would be a pig to start again, once it warmed up it was fine.. just not much fun in the morning rush hour.

Are you running a coil with ballast resistor or a normal 12v coil ?

I can't say I miss carbs and distributors... :o

JamesF
Rickman Guru

Post by JamesF » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:34 pm

Simon_Admin wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:19 pm
Carb icing in my (bitter) experience occurs after the engine has started as you need the col air flowing through the Venturi to cause the effect, I have a Chevette with a single Weber 40DCOE which was a absolute nightmare on frosty mornings, it would start on the button but within about 5 minutes of setting of it would not idle and you have keep blipping the throttle to keep it alive then if it stalled it would be a pig to start again, once it warmed up it was fine.. just not much fun in the morning rush hour.

Are you running a coil with ballast resistor or a normal 12v coil ?

I can't say I miss carbs and distributors... :o
I've got a standard Sports coil. This in theory should be a slightly increased fat spark on top of a normal ballast sports coil. I had it in my spares and put it on. In the past I have found little difference between ballast resistor and standard circuits.

I don't think the carb is icing. I finished work and she started instantly this afternoon. Yet this morning she was a 'pig' to start. I put a charged landrover battery in the passenger footwell this morning and used jump leads to save draining the car battery. When she did start she fired immediately.... but it was after several flicks of the ignition key. It is almost as if the timing is out in the mornings. My Scimitar started instantly when I lived in Scotland and that was when there was snow for almost 4 months.

If the timing is correct and HT leads good - she should start instantly. I think I have NGK BPR6ES fitted. But fuel has changed over the years. With unleaded they said one should reduce timing by 1 deg per RON... so unleaded 95 RON should be at 8 deg static. I thought she ran better on 10 deg which is what the Haynes manual says. I've ran both 95 RON and 98 RON (superunleaded) petrol and not found much difference in 70s engines.

JamesF
Rickman Guru

Post by JamesF » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:48 pm

Should have mentioned that I've got a TAC (transistorised assisted circuit) which I've found excellent - the distributor is good with no scatter. I prefer the TAC to electronic Piranha/Newtronic or Lumenition.

JamesF
Rickman Guru

Post by JamesF » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:49 pm

Well found out the answer - it seems the distributor cap bush is worn yet not looking appreciably worn. Terminals in good nick. Only way I deduce that is I found a new cap in a box, put it on and she started instantly.

Simon_Admin
Rickman Guru

Post by Simon_Admin » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:07 am

Like I said I don't miss all this clockwork stuff.... :D

JamesF
Rickman Guru

Post by JamesF » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:30 pm

Simon_Admin wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:07 am
Like I said I don't miss all this clockwork stuff.... :D
You miss out on a lot of fun :D
Trouble is with modern cars I have found more problems and not been able to sort them.

Simon_Admin
Rickman Guru

Post by Simon_Admin » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:52 am

With a lucas "king of Darkness" injection system made out of a conglomeration of Jaguar & rover parts with a Self built and tuned Megajolt ignition ECU salved in place of the Hopeless (sorry opus) ignition system I wouldn't say it's boring lol - it's just a case of gaining an understanding of what you are working with !

JamesF
Rickman Guru

Post by JamesF » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:52 pm

You've now encouraged me to look into it :D

JamesF
Rickman Guru

Post by JamesF » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:59 am

JamesF wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:52 pm
You've now encouraged me to look into it :D