Re: so I bought a Rancher.....

Post by LeeSample » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:55 pm

Thanks Richard, sorry, been working away a lot, so haven’t been on here much

Lee

LeeSample
Comittee Member

Post by LeeSample » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:15 pm

Last weekend saw a rare bit of time to crack in with some work...

The starting point:
ImageUntitled by Lee Sample, on Flickr

First off was cleaning up the block face, and getting the worst of the carbon build up from the piston crowns:

Finding out that at some point it has had a reborn to +0.030”

Next was to cut the heads of a couple of old head bolts. The pinto has no locating dowels, so to keep the head and gasket aligned, you screw two of these into the block 👍

New gasket on, so time to put the head in place

you can see the slotted head of one of the locating pins in the hole. the slot is to allow it to be removed easily.

Once this was satisfactorily in place, the dowels were removed, and the new head bolts were installed. We followed the Haynes book of lies tightening sequence.

Once this was done, the static timing marks were all checked

And then all of the pulleys, cambelt and tensioner were fitted

And that’s where she stands. This weekend will be time to refit the water pump, new hoses, inlet and exhaust manifold, then go for a start, set the timing with my shiny new timing light. Finally will be setting up the mixture correctly, then take her out for a run! Can’t wait!

ABurgess
Seasoned Builder

Post by ABurgess » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:46 am

Hi Lee.

I don't know if its my eyesight or the angle at which the photo has been taken, I'm sure you will advise me, but it looks as if the alternator pulley is not in line with the crank pulley!

Regards Alan.

RichardS
Rickman Guru

Post by RichardS » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:48 pm

It's nice to see that you are making progress with your Rancher, all ready for the summer?
Richard

LeeSample
Comittee Member

Post by LeeSample » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:11 am

ABurgess wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:46 am
Hi Lee.

I don't know if its my eyesight or the angle at which the photo has been taken, I'm sure you will advise me, but it looks as if the alternator pulley is not in line with the crank pulley!

Regards Alan.
good spot Alan :-) it is just the angle of the picture - see my further posts in a sec ;-)

Lee

LeeSample
Comittee Member

Post by LeeSample » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:12 am

RichardS wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:48 pm
It's nice to see that you are making progress with your Rancher, all ready for the summer?
Richard
cheers Richard, more progress incoming!

the intention is to have it ready for easter, but at the latest we want to bring it to Stoneleigh 8-)

Lee

LeeSample
Comittee Member

Post by LeeSample » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:31 am

Last weekend, the intention was to get the Rancher engine finished off and get her tuned up and running properly....

unfortunately, the weather on saturday was awful, so we didn't get any time under the bonnet. instead, we set about the exhaust manifold in the garage.

the original manifold had a great big crack in it, but was otherwise in good shape, with good studs for the downpipe connection. the idea was to see if it would take a weld (i haven't got any cast welding gear, so it was a long shot) but that turned out to be a false hope :(

so on to plan B - we have a spare manifold, of a slightly different design, and the downpipe studs were in bad shape. to add to the fun, one of the studs had been welded in previously.....

so i got out the angle grinder and set to grinding off the weld. then i got my finest 'manufactured from cheese' external stud extractors :roll:

after a bit of a false start, and lots of near failures of the extractor, the studs came out! we cleaned up the threads in the holes, and fitted the good studs. job done.

after that we decided to tackle the dented peugeot alloy that i created on the last trial in the green ranger. unfortunately that had a nice crack in it, as well as the dent, so that has been consigned to the scrap heap. the tube is salvageable, as is the tyre, so all is not lost, and a replacement wheel is on the way from ebay.

then on to the weller wheel that had a blowout on the way home - that turned out to be a failed tube, and the tyre was completely dead. the wheel was good though, so we fitted a new tyre and tube to it, and another job was done!

finally we set about going through all of the spares in the garage and having a clear out preparing to sell some stuff. all three shelves full of it!

Sunday was no better in terms of weather - in fact it was worse - we had snow now! Dad had been industrious before i arrived, and fashioned a tent over the engine bay - so no excuses this time :lol:

so we got busy. not many pics im afraid, as my fingers were cold and wet. i'll just dump what we took here:

all that remains to do on the weekend is to fit the new temperature sender, fill up the coolant, connect the exhaust, and go for a start! then we'll set the timing, and then check the mixture, then we'll be good.

cheers for reading,

Lee