New addition - Green Ranger-gctid4021

Do you have a Rickman related project ? Share it in the garage
- One thread per project please !
LeeSample
Comittee Member

Re: New addition - Green Ranger-gctid4021

Post by LeeSample » Wed May 08, 2019 11:11 am

a bit more on the last exeter....

we failed on the second hill with the car cutting out and refusing to start. after being unceremoniously dragged out of the section by a tractor, we set about diagnosing the fault and effecting repairs. the first issue was found to be the starter motor lead hanging off. this was easily fixed with a couple of new nuts. it still kept misfiring though. we found that the plug for the lumenition module was full of oil from a previously leaking oil pressure switch, and one of the pins was loose. with this fixed, we carried on.

no matter how hard we tried, the car just kept misfiring under load, and was really unhappy. we finished the trial, and limped it back to Matts house on full choke, as that was the only way it seemed to run ok. on the sunday morning we tried everything to find the fault, but to no avail. we limped back to Bedfordshire on full choke again, and took a look at things at home.

I was right in the past - the ignition timing was a little off... it was set at 30 degrees of static advance! :shock: im amazed it even ran! this in turn had destroyed the spark plug in cylinder 1, and hence it ran like a dog.

with the timing sorted, and the plugs replaced, all was well in the world again.

LeeSample
Comittee Member

Re: New addition - Green Ranger-gctid4021

Post by LeeSample » Wed May 08, 2019 11:16 am

This time, it was the Lands End Trial. i dont often get to compete in this one, as it is normally at the same time as the family holiday in Wales. this year however, it didn't clash, so with Simon back in the navigators seat, we embarked on the trial.

for the full lowdown of the trial you'll have to wait for the next edition of re-cycle, but I will say that it was a good one! the weather was spectacular, and the hills were on fine form.

my only grumble with the green ranger was that the peugeot 205 gti wheels i have fitted, have no centre hole. this means that finding somewhere to balance them is fun... or you do what I did - dont bother balancing them. yep, i regretted that decision lol

next steps are to go back to steels, probably the original wellers, which i can balance at home.

I also have a quick shifter kit to fit, and a hydraulic handbrake which ive been meaning to fit for about 3 years!

more later, hopefully with pictures next time.

Lee