Re-Cycle 120 - MOT Exemption?

Anything to do with nuts and bolts that is not associated with a build thread
JamesF
Rickman Guru

Re-Cycle 120 - MOT Exemption?

Post by JamesF » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:44 pm

The editor writes "What are your thoughts? Would you still have an annual safety check carried out if your vehicle was exempt?"

Would I have an MOT on my two 1955 Reliant Regal IIs - NO because they are so simple and having a good knowledge of motors and not having failed an MOT in 25 years (apart from failing an emission test on a Peugeot 206 which couldn't be avoided)... I see little point. I prefer an older motor that I can maintain and tend to carry out preventative maintenance.

BUT and it is a big but with this issue - yes one can legally drive down the road but if one needed to make a claim the insurance company would not payout if there was no MOT certificate - I'd guess. At present one can drive to the MOT station and back (without an MOT certificate) but that is all. I discussed this with a couple of companies and their view was the same.

So I don't really see why this Exemption has come into being... Perhaps with time it may become accepted but insurance companies have the ultimate say whether we like it or not. I view the MOT as having a checkover just in case I have missed anything... £45 is a bargain for an expert checkover - £1 a min if one bears in mind that the DVSA say no-one can do an MOT in less than 45 mins.

JamesF
Rickman Guru

Re: Re-Cycle 120 - MOT Exemption?

Post by JamesF » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:05 pm

I should have mentioned that insurance companies argue the case of damage on the basis of civil law - their litigation stance would be severely reduced.