Lock restrictors

Anything to do with nuts and bolts that is not associated with a build thread
BillG
Rickman Fresher

Lock restrictors

Post by BillG » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:52 am

Hi all, good to be back, just a little question, does anyone know of a way of limiting the steering lock available, the reason being is that espaeially at mot time when the front of the car is lifted there is a small amount of flex on the steering rack. Another solution ? Would be to limit how far down the front wheels hang when the front is lifted.
I have removed the gaiters on a spare rack, removed for the same reason, run it end to end and I can't find anything untoward, if I clamp the rack in the vice at full lock and really pull on the track rods I can reproduce the flex but gentler checking for play shows nothing.
Any ideas anyone, thanks for reading.

Simon_Admin
Rickman Guru

Re: Lock restrictors

Post by Simon_Admin » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:14 pm

<Post moved to technical board>

I've limited steering lock on another car by removing the steering rack gaiter, drilling a hole on the flat part where the gaiter ties on and adding an M6 bolt which then limits how far the rack can go back into the housing, a more robust solution would be to take off the track rods and add a section of suitable ID tubing over the rack which would give a more robust "stop" and you would not be limited by the position of the rack gaiter retaining surface.