leaking windscreen-gctid4012

Anything to do with nuts and bolts that is not associated with a build thread
TrudyL
Rickman Fresher

leaking windscreen-gctid4012

Post by TrudyL » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:59 pm

In heavy rain travel >:(lling down Skye last week water poured in through my screen. Soaked the top inside carpeting and dripped down inside off screen. Had windscreen company out yesterday he wont touch it in case he breaks it and cant get a replacement. Any ideas? It was that bad a leak most of wiring ceased to worked. Cant get that mended until screen fixed. Travelled home by fog lights and spots as not got working headlights at mo. t

Ex_Member

leaking windscreen-gctid4204

Post by Ex_Member » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:03 pm

One to try Trudy. I had this problem on the 'potting shed' Ranger, with some puzzling electrical effects. Angie looked out one night and called to tell me I'd left the lights. When I went to check all switches were off! Eventually I worked out that water was entering the window seal at the top, which collected it like a gutter and fed it down the sides to the electrics under the dash. To prove the point I suggest that you ease a piece of clean cloth between the screen rubber and the body above the centre of the screen, using a blunt screwdriver. Work it outwards towards the corner and see what you get. Mine dug up enough black dirt to fill a small windowbox in the first pass. I worked along both sides and round the corner from the centre several times, until a fresh hankie stayed cleanish. Then with white silicone and a fine nozzle on the sealant cartridge gun I ran a bead along with the nozzle buried as far into the bottom of the rubber surround as I could. Of course the seal closes up behind as you go, squeezing some of the silicone sealer out, but it cured our problem 100 percent. I hope it goes on working because the car is now in western Eire.

JJ

TrudyL
Rickman Fresher

leaking windscreen-gctid4368

Post by TrudyL » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:27 pm

Thanks for that will give it a go. tl

RichardS
Rickman Guru

leaking windscreen-gctid4500

Post by RichardS » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:29 pm

What do you expect if you go to Skye!

ABurgess
Rickman Fresher

leaking windscreen-gctid4609

Post by ABurgess » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:35 am

Trudy now has a new windscreen, unfortunately the new rubber from woollies did not go well so I've had to reuse the old rubber, it looks nice as there is no blooming around the outside, but again it has a small leak on the drivers side bottom corner, we cannot decide if its the old rubber or the over generous use of neat washing up liquid to ease the screen in which is stopping the arbomast sealant from doing its job.

Alan.

DavidOB
Rickman Fresher

leaking windscreen-gctid4702

Post by DavidOB » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:14 pm

hi, i'm about to replace my front windscreen rubber, with a new onw that i got at the stoneleigh show, as i too have a leaking windscreen. What would be an ideal sealant to use between 1. the glass and rubber, 2. the rubber and bodywork? thank you in advance.

ABurgess
Rickman Fresher

Re: leaking windscreen-gctid4012

Post by ABurgess » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:28 pm

Hi David.

I know this is some time since you posted your request but if you still require sealant you need Arbomast, you can get it on ebay and a tube is enough for 1 windscreen, this stuff stays flexible and only after a while does the outside skin harden.

Alan
Mem 072