A problem?

Anything to do with nuts and bolts that is not associated with a build thread
RichardS
Rickman Guru

A problem?

Post by RichardS » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:47 pm

My Ranger, 1600, crossflow has given faultless service over the last 4 - 5 years but the other day it let me down, it conked out in the dark coming back from the super market, fortunately the second car that passed stopped to offer assistance and towed me home, such are the benefits of living in the country!
The next day I checked all the usual stuff, CB, coil out put, carb jets, fuel feed, etc. but nothing was conclusive but it started so I replaced a few bits that looked a bit suspect and it ran fine.
Today I used it again and a mile up the road it it cut out again but this time in day light so I could see that when I tried to keep it running with the throttle there was black smoke from the exhaust and if I kept it revving it would drive well, so 4000 rpm in second gear got us home and all is well, except I don't know why this has occurred . My thoughts suggest over fuelling , By the way it has a twin choke weber carb if that is important.
Yours thoughts are welcomed,
Richard

RichardS
Rickman Guru

Re: A problem?

Post by RichardS » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:48 am

Well after cleaning and checking the carburettor and fuel supply to no effect I replaced the contact breaker, coil, HT leads and finally the condenser which restored life the the beast so my fuelling theory was completely wrong. I now carry a spare condenser to placate what ever deity is responsible for a "failure to proceed"!
Richard

LeeSample
Comittee Member

Post by LeeSample » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:46 am

glad you got it sorted Richard :-)

unfortunately i only saw this today. my rangers both run electronic ignition - the white one is an accuspark dissy unit, and the green one a lumenition module. perhaps this would be worth a look in the future to prevent having to worry about points and condensers?

Lee

JamesF
Rickman Guru

Post by JamesF » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:36 am

RichardS wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:48 am
...finally the condenser which restored life the the beast so my fuelling theory was completely wrong. I now carry a spare condenser...
Condensors these days are almost not worth the bother I have found. I have used Luminition, Piranha and hall effect (SimonBBC and others with the imported Chinese units). Some are fine and some are not. My hall effect worked but somehow didn't quite run the same as points despite careful set up.

The unit I am fond of which has been on a Scimitar, Herald Vitesse and landrovers is the Velleman. One makes it up and I've found 'bullet proof'. It's a TAC unit that has been on the market for about 30 years - I've made up several and the current one on the Ranger conv has done 15 years. I did try Boyer Bransden's TAC unit and a couple both failed in use... now v.expensive.

Some would say a pain to make up but at least one can check out the circuit to be sure. As for wear on the points heel I have found a smear of moly grease almost eliminates it. With the TAC the points are only used for switching and so no pitting or buildup - so one's points last a good while. The box one has to get and if you find soldering a fiddle I'll do it for you. Worth putting a waterproof spray over the completed circuit. You can get the components yourself but may cost more than the kit that you can get here.

http://www.velleman.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p199.html

Simon_Admin
Rickman Guru

Post by Simon_Admin » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:57 pm

I've used a lumenition system in the past and it was great, fit and forget and due to the optical nature wear in the dizzy shaft is less of a problem, the only problem now is they are £165 !. I've also heard good reports of the Aldon Ignitor which is a hall effect module that fits inside the dizzy. The TVR had a lucas "hopeless" hall effect dizzy which after the second ignition amp failed I fitted coil packs and a MegaJolt ECU... a bit overkill...

JamesF
Rickman Guru

Post by JamesF » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:24 pm

Simon_Admin wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:57 pm
I've used a lumenition system in the past and it was great, fit and forget and due to the optical nature wear in the dizzy shaft is less of a problem, the only problem now is they are £165 !. I've also heard good reports of the Aldon Ignitor which is a hall effect module that fits inside the dizzy. The TVR had a lucas "hopeless" hall effect dizzy which after the second ignition amp failed I fitted coil packs and a MegaJolt ECU... a bit overkill...
I think it's fair to say 'some swear by - some swear at'. I'd agree Lumenition are probably the best as they were the first I think... as you mention with best price! I only know of one person who had trouble with Lumenition when the module went on his concours Stag and he was stuck by the road. He bought two more modules and installed both - one as backup. Aldon's were popular on Scimitars. I and many folk had problems with the Piranha/Newtronic - so I tend to be keen on keeping things simple that I can sort out.

One matter I didn't mention was that many folk say electronic removes the problem of points bounce. The only professional racing guy I've met is Mr K of Rebel Racing who also did some development work for Reliant on the infamous 750 formula. He was not impressed with electronic ignition and kept to points - in his tests the high revving engines did not suffer points bounce. Contrary to the claims of ignition manufacturers. Thing is with electronic it is nice not to have the bother of adjustment.

oops I am a little out of touch with photobucket's current antics so I'll try gmail pics to see if it works. (it didn't so perhaps someone can let me know how to post pics now - I'll leave it as a direct link)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/RcDDCvzcogBSVrAi1

Simon_Admin
Rickman Guru

Post by Simon_Admin » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:15 pm

In theory you would use the picture button which should insert the link between two IMG tags, however for some reason it won't work with the above link.

BTW the Photobucket extortion can be avoided if you use google chrome and install the "Photobucket Hotlink fix" add on, no idea how it works but I can confirm it does.

JamesF
Rickman Guru

Post by JamesF » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:25 pm

Simon_Admin wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:15 pm
a] In theory you would use the picture button which should insert the link between two IMG tags, however for some reason it won't work with the above link.

b] BTW the Photobucket extortion can be avoided if you use google chrome and install the "Photobucket Hotlink fix" add on, no idea how it works but I can confirm it does.
a] I did try it the way I have always done which has worked with gmail pics and photobucket.
b] thanks for the tip which I have now installed. This year I have had some difficult times; with braking an ankle losing my job etc. i haven't been keeping up to date with the latest changes. Next post I'll give it a try - I am a linux Xubuntu user and use Chromium (instead of Chrome as it is no longer packaged) but as you know the extensions work in either.

Simon_Admin
Rickman Guru

Post by Simon_Admin » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:51 pm

No Problem - After using photobucket for years because it supported 3rd party linking it was somewhat outraged to find they now want $400 pa. It's very short cited but I for one haven't got time to shift all my photos to another service and then spend hours updating links on all manner of fori !

JamesF
Rickman Guru

Post by JamesF » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:21 pm

Simon_Admin wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:51 pm
No Problem - After using photobucket for years because it supported 3rd party linking it was somewhat outraged to find they now want $400 pa. It's very short cited but I for one haven't got time to shift all my photos to another service and then spend hours updating links on all manner of fori !
I have also used photobucket for years! BUT if they want to start being mean... I'll find time somehow to tidy up my photo library and move it probably to gmail. LOL Matter of principle! :roll: