Convertible Hardtop

Wanted / For sale Adverts look here
Micky Walters
Rickman Fresher

Convertible Hardtop

Post by Micky Walters » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:58 pm

I know they're rare but I might as well ask the question! Does anyone have a hardtop they want to sell or know of one attached to an abandoned convertible on a drive somewhere? I am asking now as my back up plan is to make one, possibly by chopping down a Truckman top for a pick up. I have found one that I can get for little money so might have a go but of course the real thing would probably be better! Even though they're rare, I suspect buyers are in short supply too :D

LeeSample
Comittee Member

Re: Convertible Hardtop

Post by LeeSample » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:51 am

they do come up from time to time, but as you say - rare as hens teeth!

i did have one on yours at one point, but i found it made the car feel a little claustrophobic. strange really, as the saloon doesn't feel like that. probably just my weird head lol

one thing to note though - they weigh a good 50 KG, and bolt on, so not the easiest thing to change on and off in the summer.....

Lee

Micky Walters
Rickman Fresher

Post by Micky Walters » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:22 am

Hi Lee, I know they're heavy from what I've read, I think I saw somewhere you wrenched your shoulder lifting it single handed. I am not desperate to get one as the soft top is vey water tight although it is vulnerable to damage if I fill the back up with crap as per one of the photos I posted. As for the claustrophobic feel, you would not like my possible alternatives to the genuine top! The first idea is to build my own from thin plywood sheathed in fibreglass (something I am familiar with from my dinghy sailing activities) or secondly I was thinking of cutting down either a metal Ifor Williams type top or a fibreglass Truckman top. I have identified several which are very close to the correct dimension in at least one direction! In all cases, they would initially have no windows so would definitely feel more claustrophobic than the genuine article. My other idea wouldn't be much better for you as it involves partitioning the cab behind the front seats 'pick up style' and then covering the rear with a lifting (removeable) lid.

All that can wait for now, I am just going to take the heater out in the hope that I can sort it out before the weather turns colder later in the week.

JamesF
Rickman Guru

Post by JamesF » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:37 pm

My hardtop may be available but this summer when I have done some mods.

Micky Walters
Rickman Fresher

Post by Micky Walters » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:32 am

Thanks James, let me know if you do decide to get rid it.