Rear axel/diff wanted

Wanted / For sale Adverts look here
BillG
Rickman Fresher

Rear axel/diff wanted

Post by BillG » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:14 pm

Does anyone have a axel and diff for sale/ surplus to requirements as mine has been somewhat noisy all the time I have owned the fridge and now I'm retired I think it's time I got it sorted. Cheers

RichardS
Rickman Guru

Re: Rear axel/diff wanted

Post by RichardS » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:02 pm

Hello Bill,
You could try resetting the mesh of the crown wheel and pinion as the chances are that you just have too much back lash in which case the noise will occur on the over run. If it's all the time then look to the bearings,start with the wheel bearings which at least cheap and relatively easy to change. The adjustment on the Ford diff is relatively easy as the crownwheel is adjusted by screwed sleeves so just reduce the back lash to a sensible minimum but avoid altering the pinion setting as you will need a bit more equipment to get that right. There's plenty of info on the internet and as long as you reduce the back lash you it must be better than one that's out of mesh .
Regards
Richard

BillG
Rickman Fresher

Post by BillG » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:29 am

Thanks for the advice Richard, I don't use the car as my daily driver, most of the time it's trapped on the drive. I keep meaning to do a few checks to see of the noise is restricted to one half of the axle then I could perhaps narrow it down to a bearing etc. Now I'm retired I seem to have no time to get my own jobs done, but I'm determined to get to the bottom of this soon.

BillG
Rickman Fresher

Post by BillG » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:14 pm

The noise on the diff/axle is almost continuous, if I back off on the throttle when traveling I can make the noise disappear but as soon as I apply power it's back again

LeeSample
Comittee Member

Post by LeeSample » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:08 pm

sounds like the usual wear in the crownwheel and pinion. rebuilding it / replacing the crush spacer wont cure the noise completely, but might help.

what ratio are you after, and which flange size do you have? I may have a spare diff :-)

Lee

BillG
Rickman Fresher

Post by BillG » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:38 am

If I can find the will power and get motivated I'm going to pull the half shafts and strip/ inspect the diff innards, I have a spare that came with the car, condition and ratio unknown but I'll have a go. I would have preferred to just swap the axle complete but it seems now they're getting rare and expensive, could workout cheaper to buy a second ranger for spares.