New addition - Green Ranger-gctid4021

Do you have a Rickman related project ? Share it in the garage
- One thread per project please !
User avatar
LeeSample
Comittee Member
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:26 pm

New addition - Green Ranger-gctid5171

Post by LeeSample » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:27 am

once everything was all buttoned back up, we went for a test drive.



The acceleration is epic! and we managed an indicated 105mph on the dual carriageway! then we noticed that small cars were still overtaking us.... i think the speedometer is a bit out.....lol



finally we did an oil and filter change, did some tidying up, stuck some stickers on - tow point, fire extinguisher etc, and called it a day.



next week is my birthday, so the weekend will be ranger free for a bit of a break, then back to it for a timing check, tappets, mixture etc, and then it's ready for the 9th of Jan!!



thanks for reading,



Lee

User avatar
LeeSample
Comittee Member
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:26 pm

Re: New addition - Green Ranger-gctid4021

Post by LeeSample » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:24 pm

Hi all,

after a break of 2 years updating this thread, i thought it might be a good idea to let you know how things are going :lol:

A couple of weekends ago saw the annual MCC Edinburgh Trial, which takes place in Derbyshire. I had decided to take the whole family on this one, so a few minor mode were needed to ensure that all of the spares, kids stuff, luggage and kids seats would fit comfortably.

At stoneleigh last year i noticed that the bolt securing the alternator tensioner had sheared, so this was the first job. Water pump off, nut welded onto the remaining stud, and the offending broken bolt was removed. nice and easy! it was only when reassembling everything that I noticed the alternator casting had broken, so we ended up replacing the alternator at the same time!

next up was modifying the rear seat catches so the seats were a bit more reclined. This is because the trial takes place overnight, and i didnt want the kids slumped forwards in their seats if they fell asleep. as i went to tip the seat forwards to gain access to the catches, the bottom brackets securing the seat to the floor both sheared off! this meant that i needed to remove the upholstery and re weld the brackets. whilst i was there, i sorted out the sagging base and repadded it. as it happens, this meant the seat angle was much better, so i didn't have to change the catches at all 8-)

last up was a good look over everything, and then 2 hours with the machine polisher to try and clean her up a bit. i dont think it came out too bad, but more work is required!

Image

Image

on to the trial!

User avatar
LeeSample
Comittee Member
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:26 pm

Re: New addition - Green Ranger-gctid4021

Post by LeeSample » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:34 pm

On the night of the trial, we loaded up and set off for the start at Tamworth at 10pm. our start time was 01:47, so we had plenty of time to plod up there, go through scrutineering, and sign on.
as it happens, it was a good job we did, as the centre exhaust gasket failed, so i had to effect a temporary repair using chemical metal. note to anyone else who tires this - it absolutely STINKS when you cook it on an exhaust manifold! thankfully the stench cleared after 5 mins, and all was well again.

the trial was a mixed bag of success and failure. the previous wet weather had made previously 'easy' sections borderline unpassable, and I failed a few that had never caused me any problems i the past. on the flip side of the coin, i managed to clean a couple of sections that had eluded me in the past, so I was pretty happy, especially as i was carrying a good deal more weight than normal....

Start of the trial

Image

looking happy despite the lack of sleep

Image

and some random ones throughout the day

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

and then following the trial, i found that I had been ploughing at some point :lol:

Image

Image

User avatar
LeeSample
Comittee Member
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:26 pm

Re: New addition - Green Ranger-gctid4021

Post by LeeSample » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:39 pm

Following the trial, I have a long list of stuff that needs to be done:

1. Replace front sidelights/indicators with LED units
2. Replace failing rear light clusters with LED units
3. refit alloys using new studs and wheel nuts (tyres on the weller wheels are now not legal for trials, so i have to fit some that are on the new list)
4. create and fit front competition number holder, preferably illuminated.
5. fix the maplight switch that the wife broke :roll:
6. replace the front seats with the MG metro ones i have
7. fabricate and fit a new solution for the rear light board im currently using (broke it a bit on a tree!)
8. service
9. MOT
10. bit more cleaning / polishing
11. fabricate and fit a sump guard
12. fabricate and fit a tank guard.

I'll try to update a bit more regularly from now on!
cheers for reading,

Lee

Post Reply