New addition - Green Ranger-gctid4021

Do you have a Rickman related project ? Share it in the garage
- One thread per project please !
LeeSample
Comittee Member

New addition - Green Ranger-gctid4995

Post by LeeSample » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:04 pm

587578774E190 wrote: Will you be keeping the front bullbar?

I would be interested if you wanted to sell .

I think I am tbh, but if that changes, or i come across another one, i'll give you a shout :)

Lee

PaulG
Rickman Guru

New addition - Green Ranger-gctid5027

Post by PaulG » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:18 pm

Cleaned up nice :)

ABurgess
Rickman Fresher

New addition - Green Ranger-gctid5053

Post by ABurgess » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:47 am

cheers Paul.

now i just need to sort out the damaged prop on the white one, and get cracking on the wiring for this one, then it's MOT time......

LeeSample
Comittee Member

New addition - Green Ranger-gctid5074

Post by LeeSample » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:58 am

Hi All.

so, i have committed to doing the next MCC Exeter trial in the green ranger :o the date is January 8th.

as soon as i get a chance, I will be cracking on with getting it ready to rock and roll, literally ;D

and this time, I will be entering the main trial in class 7 with the big boys.

what have I done?!?

Ex_Member

New addition - Green Ranger-gctid5093

Post by Ex_Member » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:45 pm

Nothing like a deadline to keep you focussed is there!

LeeSample
Comittee Member

New addition - Green Ranger-gctid5112

Post by LeeSample » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:28 pm

Hi everyone,

Hot a chance to spend some time on the green ranger today. After removing the front bullbar, front spotlights, front bumper and a few other bits, I finally traced the bad earth - to the engine bay ;D

The front bumper needed a bit of a repair anyway, so I will do that while it's off.

The good news though, is that the lights all work as intended, so I will soon be embarking on an MOT journey :D

Cheers,

Lee

LeeSample
Comittee Member

New addition - Green Ranger-gctid5129

Post by LeeSample » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:00 am

hi everyone.

since the last update there has only been a few changes:

all of the headlining has been removes as it was saggier than a saggy thing that got wet.

the internal trim panels in the rear have been removed

the rear bench seat has been modified and move forwards to allow more boot space for spares and tools

the interior light LED strips have been installed in the cabin and the boot

the wheels have been changed for my trials ones with 185/80/R14 Kingpin K4S tyres fitted.

on saturday i will be taking it for the MOT, and then I will be embarking on a diff and prop change to allow me to run the 5.3:1 diff that i have. I'll be using some seriously heavy duty diff oil too, as i don't like how much the rebuilds cost..... ::) this time i will take pictures so I can do a walkthrough for anyone that is interested 8-)

then it is on to trials prep. the compressor needs hardwiring, a sump and tank guard needs to be manufactured and fitted, a 5 ton towing point needs to be added, the extinguisher mounted somewhere, and the boot needs to be packed up. oh, and there are all of the little scrutineering bits - extra throttle springs, light under the bonnet, competition number holders, etc etc.

going to be a busy run up to xmas!

cheers,

Lee

PaulG
Rickman Guru

New addition - Green Ranger-gctid5142

Post by PaulG » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:53 pm

Fast progress :)

LeeSample
Comittee Member

New addition - Green Ranger-gctid5153

Post by LeeSample » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:08 pm

Hi everyone.

so the MOT has been and gone. it failed :(

on a blown sidelight bulb ;D so with that replaced i now have 12 months ticket! I have also taxed it, so there is a Green Rickman Ranger back on the road again!

saturday and sunday saw me complete the installation of my compressor, sort out a few electical niggles, fit the navigators maplight, completely remove and properly install the stereo, complete with new aerial. the plugs have all been changed, the leads cleaned up and checked. the K&N air filter has been cleaned and re oiled, and the throttle now has not one, not two, but four return springs! not problems from the scrutineers there then :D

I have installed the fire extinguisher in the passenger footwell, and the first aid kit in the rear. there is a nice new 5 tonne towing strap on the front, and a heavy duty battery strap fitted.

due to the diff oil not turning up till yesterday, there wasn't an opportunity to change the prop and diff over, so i will be doing that in a couple of weekends time.

cheers!

Lee

LeeSample
Comittee Member

New addition - Green Ranger-gctid5162

Post by LeeSample » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:27 am

Hi Everyone!

apologies for the lack of update - It seems that gutting and rebuilding my kitchen, whilst sorting out the white ranger wasn't stressfull enough for me, so I now have two rangers to sort out, and my lounge extension being done!

anyway, I managed to grab a weekend to play with both Rangers, and we cracked on with swapping trials related stuff over....

first off was removing the propshaft from the green one - nice and straightforward, 4 bolts and off it comes. next was removing all of the rear brake gubbins, and then pulling the halfshafts. these came out without too much drama. then on to the diff. this came out easily, although there wasnt as much oil in there as i'd have liked....

next step was to jack up the white one, propshaft off, brakes off, halfshafts out, 5.3 diff out. happy days!

what followed wasnt so great.....

we decided at this point to renew the rear wheel bearings on the white one, as one had a bit of a leak, and theyve taken a beating lately. we utilised the angle grinder to get the old ones off, took everythign off, cleaned up the shaft and retaining plate, and set about welding up some scaffold tube to use as a driver for the new bearings. about halfway on to the shaft we stopped to check that all was going on well..... and noticed that the retaining plate was still on the bench! D'oh! out with the angle grinder, and the new bearing was back off :-( new ones are on order now lol

we sacked that job off for now, and returned to the green one. 5.3 diff in, halfshafts and brakes back on, new propshaft on :-)

we refilled the back axle, and slightly overfilled it, as all the trials boys do, with redline heavy duty diff oil. this stuff is like pink custard. very strange!