New addition - Green Ranger-gctid4021

Do you have a Rickman related project ? Share it in the garage
- One thread per project please !
LeeSample
Comittee Member

New addition - Green Ranger-gctid4021

Post by LeeSample » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:05 am

Afternoon all  :)

if you read my last Rangerworks update, you'll know that things have been afoot recently, and there is a new addition to the groovy fleet.....

so here she is:

I was contacted by the owners son to see if there was any interest, and with an indication that it would need to be moved ASAP.  of course I jumped at the chance, negotiated a price, picked up a trailer the next day, and went to get it!

first impressions weren't great, tyres were flat, battery was flat, gel coat incredibly faded.  you know, the usual unloved fibreglass car scenario  :'(

anyway, with much pushing and shoving, some winch work, some assistance from neighbours and friends (cheers all), we got her on the trailer!  8-)

so, back to home via the petrol station:

and then unloaded on the parents drive until the morning.

LeeSample
Comittee Member

New addition - Green Ranger-gctid4212

Post by LeeSample » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:18 am

The next day was a simple job of cleaning, sorting, and of course, getting her to run.....

a few pics of how she looked to start with:

and after a quick wash and minor rub down with some polish:

still a long way to go, but looking better  :)

now to the starting.  the battery was flatter than a flat thing.  rather than faff about with a jump pack, or charge it for a bit, I just chucked in a spare battery that I had - a Jag one no less  ;D

with a splash of fuel down the carb intake, and some cajoling from me, she started!!!!   :D

the idle is a bit off, but that could be down to old fuel, so i'll sort that later.

early indications are that there is a nightmare to contend with as far as wiring goes  ::)  if you switch things on, other things randomly work, and the thing you want to work, doesn't.

the clutch seems to slip, but that could just be adjustment.  the brakes are sound, although a good bleed is in order.  and everything else looks to be ok.

the interior needs a good going over, but my ex seamstress mum will give me a hand with recvering the seats, and I need to look at the good old sagging headlining.  but that can wait.

for now the plan is to get an MOT, and then prep her as a trials car to take over from the white convertible.  then the white one will be taken back to being a daily fun road car, maybe for my parents.

so, more later!

Lee

RichardS
Rickman Guru

New addition - Green Ranger-gctid4375

Post by RichardS » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:04 pm

Well done Lee, it's good to know another car has a safe home. I'm sure there are plenty of issues to sort out in recommissioning this car but you are cleanly up to them. However there is the problem of disturbed natural environments: have you relocated the snails in a suitable eco system?

Richard

LeeSample
Comittee Member

New addition - Green Ranger-gctid4505

Post by LeeSample » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:52 pm

Thanks Richard, that made me laugh a lot!

the snails are the least of our worries. I'm more concerned about the GIANT spiders that decamped from the rear door when I cleaned her :o

those things were big enough to start claiming benefits!

;D

Ex_Member

New addition - Green Ranger-gctid4612

Post by Ex_Member » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:36 am

Great picture set Lee. Doesn't look half bad. Your description of the wiring's random switching sounds like our original Ranger purchase, driven home from Kent. When we got in Angie, following in her car, wondered why I had turned OFF the lights in heavy rain on the M25. I thought I had switched ON the demist blower!

Jonathan.

HarrisonL
Seasoned Builder

New addition - Green Ranger-gctid4704

Post by HarrisonL » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:37 am

Hi Lee

we still have the stainless exhaust if there is a pinto in it.

Regards

Jeff n Harrison

LeeSample
Comittee Member

New addition - Green Ranger-gctid4781

Post by LeeSample » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:36 pm

cheers dude, unfortunately (or not, depending on how you look at it) it is a crossflow. ;)

HarrisonL
Seasoned Builder

New addition - Green Ranger-gctid4849

Post by HarrisonL » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:40 pm

Lee I stripped the front struts down off ours, the inserts were shot but the legs and tops and possibly the springs are ok. They were for disc brakes. Gonna shot blast and paint all parts black. Hubs are ok too. Yours for a couple of beers at Stoneleigh if you want em as we won't reuse them.

regards

Jeff n Harrison

AlanW
Rickman Fresher

New addition - Green Ranger-gctid4908

Post by AlanW » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:40 pm

Will you be keeping the front bullbar?

I would be interested if you wanted to sell .

LeeSample
Comittee Member

New addition - Green Ranger-gctid4959

Post by LeeSample » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:03 pm

15313439393831315D0 wrote: Lee I stripped the front struts down off ours, the inserts were shot but the legs and tops and possibly the springs are ok. They were for disc brakes. Gonna shot blast and paint all parts black. Hubs are ok too. Yours for a couple of beers at Stoneleigh if you want em as we won't reuse them.

regards

Jeff n Harrison

yes please dude 8-) you're like my dealer :D haha!