One step forward ...-gctid4000

Do you have a Rickman related project ? Share it in the garage
- One thread per project please !
TimS
Rickman Guru

One step forward ...-gctid4000

Post by TimS » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:28 pm

Hi all,

So, the good news is the Ranger went straight through the MOT today but the bed news is that it doesn't tickover any more?

If I pull the choke out a touch I can keep it running but just raising the tickover stop makes no difference (so I think it's the idle jet)?

I guess this will just force me to take the carb of and give it a clean and replace the ally heatshield I fitted between the carb and inlet manifold heat-block to stop the carb 'kettling' when it gets too hot.

I was wondering if it might be a good idea to add vents in the top of the underbonnet area somewhere? In the back of the bonnet - sides maybe?

Cheers, T i m

p.s. Oh, I also collected a brand new pair of 'std' front strut inserts today and am looking forward to a comfey ride (again). ;-)

RichardS
Rickman Guru

One step forward ...-gctid4192

Post by RichardS » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:22 pm

Perhaps a carb clean and checking plugs and points is in order, plus looking for air leaks as a bit of choke will enrich the mixture.

TimS
Rickman Guru

One step forward ...-gctid4357

Post by TimS » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:44 am

51706E6A776B030 wrote: Perhaps a carb clean

Do you mean on the car Richard? According to my Autodata book you can take the top off the carb in situ but I can't see any mention of an actual idle jet so it might just be built in as such?

and checking plugs

Well, whilst things can just go wrong at any time, it was ticking over perfectly fine before the MOT and then wasn't after (and they have MOT'd it 20 times before with no issues)?

and points is in order,

One thing I did right at the beginning was replace the points for a Luminition optical system. ;-)

plus looking for air leaks as a bit of choke will enrich the mixture.

Good thought and I did that very briefly when we got home last night (and trying the idle screw that made no difference, it just stalled below about 1000 rpm with the choke in). I think I will pull the vacuum hose and block the inlet stub to check that first (thanks). ;-)

I just thought that I'm not sure if I would need any new gaskets for the Motorcraft carb? (Just seen a shiny new Weber on eBay and I know you can get service kits for them! (It was only for the 1100/1300 and I might put the 1600 in it at some time)).

... Like I've got nothing else to do ... ;-)

Cheers, T i m

TimS
Rickman Guru

One step forward ...-gctid4491

Post by TimS » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:09 pm

Isn't it amazing how things pan out sometimes ...

So, as the sun was shining I went out and had a proper look at the Ranger and it's recent stalling problem. It turns out that the airscrew had been screwed right in ... ;-(

I did discover one good thing in that I do already have a Weber carb and a less good thing that the rubber insert that seals the carb to the air-filter is perished at the bottom so I need to find a new one.

Cheers, T i m