new rickman owner and planned work-gctid3911

Do you have a Rickman related project ? Share it in the garage
- One thread per project please !
HarrisonL
Seasoned Builder

new rickman owner and planned work-gctid5300

Post by HarrisonL » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:05 pm

Hello all been quiet over the winter no work on the rickman bad weather and all that. now the weather is picking up and longer days have arrived time to dust off the spanners and have another go. Our petrol tank was made and that was as far as we got with it as it was winter and the rally rickman is outside (no garage as its full of logs and its not really big enough for a car anyway). We now have a pukker full leather interior to fit from a golf colour concept so the seats are black and blue leather and are really smart. The front suspension arrived yesterday, grp 4 coilovers with 2.25 springs rated at 170lbs. we have the crossmember to fit then hopefully in the 6 weeks summer holidays we should just about get it finished and back on the road. There are still a few parts to get like front hubs fresh calipers (see what fits for conversion) adustable track control arms, track rod ends, polybush kit and I may just be able to completely re-pipe the brakes with stainless tubing and fittings from work and an adjustable brake bias valve.

Regards Jeff n Harrison :D

PaulG
Rickman Guru

new rickman owner and planned work-gctid5302

Post by PaulG » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:52 am

Bad week to start, the weather has been awful :(.

Sounds like some great upgrades. Are the leather seats front and rear? Easy to fit in?

HarrisonL
Seasoned Builder

new rickman owner and planned work-gctid5304

Post by HarrisonL » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:32 pm

Hi Paul

Not sure about how easy/difficult it will be to fit the seats yet. There will be plenty of photos when we do. They are both front and rear. I measured the seat dimensions and they are about the same size. We will need some new seat runners to attatch to the bottom of the front seats as they are integrated into the golf. We will also have to fab up some frames to fit them to (that won't be too difficult, dab hand with a mig welder). watch this space for progress

cheers

Jeff n Harrison :D

HarrisonL
Seasoned Builder

new rickman owner and planned work-gctid5306

Post by HarrisonL » Thu May 14, 2015 10:10 am

Hi all

Nice day yesterday so Harrison and I decided to do some work on the ranger. We removed all the suspension and steering components then jacked it up on bricks. We then supported the engine and removed the front cross member. All of which are in a sad state of repair. I think the only extra we will have to buy is an anti roll bar so not too bad considering what we budgeted for. The world cup crossmember is in but the engine mounts dont meet up, that is they are too short. Either the 205 block is narrower or they have not been made correctly. Anyway its time to get the welder out, not a big job just time consuming. So it is chucking it down today so rain stops play. Back to work tomorrow. 12 days off coming up so will be block paving my drive and maybe squeeze some more work in on the ranger.

Regards

Jeff n harrison :)

HarrisonL
Seasoned Builder

new rickman owner and planned work-gctid5308

Post by HarrisonL » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:50 pm

Its been a while since we were on here. Not much progress as been busy with other stuff. Got loads of new parts to fit but got to make new engine mounts first. Got one done yesterday and going to fit it on Monday as I have a day off. We will then remove the inlet manifold for access and make the nearside mount. We just copied the factory made mount and made it to fit as the factory ones are too short. once they are bolted on and engine is supporting itself instead of a block of wood we can then start rebuilding the front suspension and weld up the brackets for the new double width antiroll bar. sounds like a lot of work but for 2 of us on it, it should not take too long. updates soon

Regards

Jeff n Harrison ;D