Rangerworks - edit: now with new engine!-gctid477

Do you have a Rickman related project ? Share it in the garage
- One thread per project please !
LeeSample
Comittee Member

Rangerworks - edit: now with new engine!-gctid3536

Post by LeeSample » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:31 pm

She's a runner! Set up and timed up properly. The reason it was a bit iffy was because the timing was waaaaay to far retarded :-[. So did it as close as I could to 10 degrees BTDC and she started easily. Fine tuned her from there and all is good. I have a bit of a stutter when accelerating from idle, but I will iron that out tomorrow

More to follow once the MOT is done 8-)

Lee

PaulG
Rickman Guru

Rangerworks - edit: now with new engine!-gctid3539

Post by PaulG » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:16 am

Nice one :) What did you do to sort out the oil pressure problem? Interested because the engine I'm putting in mine has had the sump and pick up pipe off although I've not touched the oil pump. I did fill the filter with oil before putting it on which I'm hoping will be enough to avoid problems.

LeeSample
Comittee Member

Rangerworks - edit: now with new engine!-gctid3542

Post by LeeSample » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:20 pm

4A7B6F765D1A0 wrote: Nice one :)    I did fill the filter with oil before putting it on

Erm, yeah, that. :-[

;D. Forgot to do it the first time round. Lol.

In other news, I drove Rangerworks back home today :D

There is a little hesitation from idle when you pull away, but nothing that can't be ironed out I'm sure. The previous hesitation problem wasn't helped by the cracked porcelain on the spark plug in no. 4 ::)

Happy pics to follow later 8-)

Lee

PaulG
Rickman Guru

Rangerworks - edit: now with new engine!-gctid3545

Post by PaulG » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:31 pm

I guess you've checked the ignition timing running, including if the mechanical and vacuum advances?

Accelerator pump in carb OK?

No air leaks in induction?

Sorry if it's stating the obvious :)

LeeSample
Comittee Member

Rangerworks - edit: now with new engine!-gctid3548

Post by LeeSample » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:48 pm

No need to apologise Paul, sometimes the obvious isn't so obvious when you have been at it for 8 weeks........ :o

Personally I think the timing and mixture need to be set up finally, as I was doing it with a bit of an old timing light that my old man had. The mixture was using a gunsons colortune, but even that is a little subjective.

On Wednesday night, my old engine guru, Simon, is going to come over with his colortune so we can have two rigged up, and also his timing light which looks like something from battle star galactica lol. We'll get it sorted. 8-)

Lee

LeeSample
Comittee Member

Rangerworks - edit: now with new engine!-gctid3551

Post by LeeSample » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:05 pm

Great news! MOT passed about 2 hours ago (I know, sorry, I'll update faster next itme lol) with no advisories!

Happy days! Off to the next trial I go on Friday night then! :D :D :D :D

Cheers,

Lee

JamesF
Rickman Guru

Rangerworks - edit: now with new engine!-gctid3554

Post by JamesF » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:06 pm

5735487A766B777E1B0 wrote:

Personally I think the timing and mixture need to be set up finally, as I was doing it with a bit of an old timing light that my old man had. The mixture was using a gunsons colortune, but even that is a little subjective...
I had little faith in the colourtune. I found a vacuum gauge was best for tuning - disconnect the servo hose and use that connection on the carb for the gauge. Can just make up a U-tube manometer out of wine making kit. Considered old fashioned by some but still popular in the US.

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm

Gunson's low gauge is an example (52mm gauges are too small to give adequate diflection) or if you like ebay look out for a 6-7" dial gauge from the process industry. Mine was £5 unused.

I did use a Gunson Gastester on cars without a suitable manifold conection but nothing like as good as a vacuum gauge.

LeeSample
Comittee Member

Rangerworks - edit: now with new engine!-gctid3557

Post by LeeSample » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:04 pm

Cheers jessejazza :). I have a set of vacuum gauges for the motorbike, but never really thought to use them on the car.....

Anyway, that aside, I took the ranger to my man in the know, Simon.

He took one look at the running engine at idle and muttered the immortal words

"You did take the vac hose off when you set the timing, didn't you?"

Bugger.

The timing was so far retarded it was amazing the damn thing even ran lol

So, with two colortunes, and the battlestar galactica timing light, we got RangerWorks idling and running perfectly, and with the 4.44:1 diff she will happily pull up a decent gradient from about 15mph in 4th and be accelerating 8-)

I am one happy bunny.

So, the state of play at the moment is - car running like a dream, 250 miles since rebuild. New stereo in (ipod head unit) under bonnet service light fitted (sort of) and all necessary trials prep done. Well, all that I'm going to do anyway lol.

Tomorrow is packing of spares, tools, extra spare wheels, ordering ikea kitchen, looking at flooring, dropping off/picking up of kids from school, sleeping, eating and generally getting organised before a 01:30 start Friday night/Saturday morning :o

I'll try to report back with some photos ;)

Lee

JamesF
Rickman Guru

Rangerworks - edit: now with new engine!-gctid3560

Post by JamesF » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:07 pm

5A3845777B667A73160 wrote: Cheers jessejazza  :). I have a set of vacuum gauges for the motorbike, but never really thought to use them on the car.....
I found colortune pretty useless by comparison and not used it again. Vacuum gauge is the old fashioned diagnostic tool and still the best for tuning.

LeeSample
Comittee Member

Rangerworks - edit: now with new engine!-gctid3563

Post by LeeSample » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:05 pm

So, got back last night, late after 20 or so hours in the drivers seat :o

We failed 2 hills, both on the restart where you essentially have to do a hill start on the most difficult part of the section :-[

The first failure was down to me adjusting the clutch incorrectly, so we spun the clutch rather than the wheels ::)

The second failure was on a hill shared with the class 7 & 8 boys, so it was nothing if not formidable lol. We ended up at a standstill wi the wheels spinning on the rocks burning rubber :'(

The rest of the trial went without a hitch, apart from a slightly nerve wracking rescue of a young lady from her rolled over car on the road up to the Cat & Fiddle (not in the trial, just lost control in the wet). She was ok though, if not a little shaken up.

RangerWorks performed almost faultlessly, if you ignore the clutch and the slight misfire due to heat soak on the carbs (seems I need a spacer between the manifold and the carb. D'oh!) 600 miles or so done since the rebuild was completed, and all is well 8-)

Will see if I can get a pic or two on her soon.

Cheers for reading,

Lee