Rangerworks - edit: now with new engine!-gctid477

Do you have a Rickman related project ? Share it in the garage
- One thread per project please !
LeeSample
Comittee Member

Rangerworks - edit: now with new engine!-gctid3494

Post by LeeSample » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:36 am

Thanks Guys :)

i know what you mean with the dirt issue, my dad actually commented that it wasnt worth painting everything as it would be covered in a protective coating of S**t anyway ;D

but i am a little bit of a tart when it comes to shiny stuff, so i will do my best to keep it all nice looking for the shows etc. Talking of shiny stuff, my nice new blue silicone hoses arrived yesterday, so I will be fitting them some time soon, hopefully tonight when i sort out the snakes wedding that is pretending to be my wiring......

pictures to follow tonight :)

Lee

RichardS
Rickman Guru

Rangerworks - edit: now with new engine!-gctid3500

Post by RichardS » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:31 pm

Great rebuild and there's nothing wrong with a bit of shine as long as the stuff underneath if just as good. But tell me more, a SU conversion? Do you have any details as I've always favoured them for performance and economy.

Richard

LeeSample
Comittee Member

Rangerworks - edit: now with new engine!-gctid3506

Post by LeeSample » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:10 am

I don't know all of the details, but I will find out all in a couple of weeks :) the good news is that the car will soon be for sale, and my best mate is interested (and has first refusal) so I should be able to get another member :D

LeeSample
Comittee Member

Rangerworks - edit: now with new engine!-gctid3511

Post by LeeSample » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:22 am

Oh, and a couple of pics:

Test fitting the hoses

And the freshly rebuilt carb with its new air filter test fitted

On the hose fitting front - because of my uprated engine mounts, slightly taller engine, and non viscous coupling fan now, the radiator needed to be moved up and in to accommodate the hoses. Not a big deal, and didn't take too long. The rad is now nice and close to the fan, and the hoses fit lovely :D

I filled it with oil and coolant last night so I can check for leaks. The battery is on charge, the valve clearances are done. Busy two days after work lol

Jobs still to do - fit prop shaft, fill gearbox with oil, reconnect the dash, check the ignition timing, and set the carbs up. Oh, then MOT it........

Cheers all,

Lee

JamesD
Rickman Guru

Rangerworks - edit: now with new engine!-gctid3516

Post by JamesD » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:33 am

Did I understand you correctly, you are selling Rangerworks?

PaulG
Rickman Guru

Rangerworks - edit: now with new engine!-gctid3520

Post by PaulG » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:38 am

Lee, that engine bay is looking very tidy. The blue hoses add some "shine". It'll be a shame to get the car dirty :).

LeeSample
Comittee Member

Rangerworks - edit: now with new engine!-gctid3524

Post by LeeSample » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:13 pm

614A4C444F442B0 wrote: Did I understand you correctly, you are selling Rangerworks?

God no! :o

Just another range I know of that has had an SU conversion 8-)

Ex_Member

Rangerworks - edit: now with new engine!-gctid3527

Post by Ex_Member » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:55 am

hi everyone.

good news! and its not about the Dacia Sandero!

i fired up the Ranger last night :D :D :D :D

ok, now the excitement is out of the way i can get down to the nitty gritty lol

it started, of a fashion, but isn't quite right. so i have a few things to check. one is the battery, i think it is a bit deaded, so a replacement is on the cards soon. does anyone have any suggestions for ratings etc? 1600 crossflow fitted, nothing out of the ordinary.

the next one is the leads - im not convinced that i have them in the right order, so i need to do some figuring out on that one as it was a bit misfiry when it did start.

lastly, the oil light didnt go out, so i'm going to check the pump to make sure it doesnt need a bit of a prime, as it was brand new. im thinking i could pull the end cover and give it a squirt of oil to help things along? if it has oil in there already, then i at least know that it has been pumping.

so, almost there, just some fine tuning to do 8-)

cheers all,

Lee

JohnW
Rickman Guru

Rangerworks - edit: now with new engine!-gctid3530

Post by JohnW » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:01 pm

The Haynes manual will tell you were the leads go.

I'm using a Bosch 075 battery, the S4 type with 4 year warranty, cost less on Ebay, than I could get a cheap battery with 2 year warranty locally, the Bosch one has supposedly extra cranking power, so should be OK even in the depths of winter. Its a bigger battery but only in length & fits on the tray OK & can be secured properly with a little bit of modification to secure the front.

John

JamesF
Rickman Guru

Rangerworks - edit: now with new engine!-gctid3533

Post by JamesF » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:39 pm

1E3B3C3A03540 wrote: The Haynes manual will tell you were the leads go.

I'm using a Bosch 075 battery, the S4 type with 4 year warranty, cost less on Ebay, than I could get a cheap battery with 2 year warranty locally, the Bosch one has supposedly extra cranking power, so should be OK even in the depths of winter. Its a bigger battery but only in length & fits on the tray OK & can be secured properly with a little bit of modification to secure the front.

John

If you want a battery to last 14 years and fit on any car (almost) have a look at racing batteries. Mine's been on 8 cars and will go on the Ranger when the acid one dies (healthy for a while).