Simon_Admin
Rickman Guru

The Flying Fridge !-gctid3430

Post by Simon_Admin » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:15 am

Congratulations !

Ex_Member

The Flying Fridge !-gctid3436

Post by Ex_Member » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:28 pm

I like the 1600 crossflow. Had one in my Dutton Melos (nearest I'll ever get to a Fury)and I had some fun in that. Rear wheel drive is so good too!

Ex_Member

The Flying Fridge !-gctid3442

Post by Ex_Member » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:45 pm

Well I wasn't expecting much, the car ran perfectly on the drive, but as soon as I set off for the MoT garage, there was a problem. While accelerating the engine would just cut, backfire, emit a huge cloud of smoke from the exhaust & carry on - for a few seconds then repeat. Added to that the brakes were RUBBISH because they hadn't been used for six months so were gripping on rust.

Anyway, first it wouldn't start for the tester, then when it was on the ramps it wouldn't start again (they'd turned the fuel pumps off trying to find another switch) but in the end it passed!! They know me in that garage & in fact the guy doing the testing lives in my road so he's seen the car come apart & go back together.

Anyway I nursed it back home kangerooing for all it was worth & after leaving it to think on the error of it's ways for a day, went out to look at it again today. My first thought was it must be electrical so checked all the connectors & made sure the ignition switch stayed on when I wobbled the key. But thay wouldn't cause the smoke, only then did my mistake occur to me. I'd plumbed the sump breather into the intake just like the good Ford intended, then - some time later - I'd fitted a breather filter to the port on the cam cover, so when the engine was sucking hard air could flow into the cam box, down through the engine to the sump, & back through the piping to the inlet, lousing up the air / fuel ratio & no doubt dragging a load of oil with it. I removed the breather filter & plugged the hole & although at first it as the same, after a run up & down the road a bit it seemed to be OK.

I've ordered some hose connectors to do it all properly.

Fingers crossed.

Ex_Member

The Flying Fridge !-gctid3448

Post by Ex_Member » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:47 am

The Fridge is BACK!

It's taxed from today & I've bought it into work. It's not without it's problems, the wipers won't go off, the de-mist is rubbish, & the water pump's sha99ed, but it got me to work pretty smoothly & while I didn't push it, power felt "adequate" ;).

So now I need to sort some of the teething troubles over the weekend & fill it with fuel to see what the MPG is.

Ex_Member

The Flying Fridge !-gctid3454

Post by Ex_Member » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:15 pm

Well the water pump went & it took me a while to get round to changing it, & when i did I had to re-time the cams, so had to take the cam cover off - so just HAD to paint it...........

Ex_Member

The Flying Fridge !-gctid3460

Post by Ex_Member » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:01 am

Hi Tony

Have you noticed any difference between the performance of the Vetec and the Pinto?

Ken

Ex_Member

The Flying Fridge !-gctid3466

Post by Ex_Member » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:20 pm

The kid gloves are still very much on, but I had to dash home this morning & accelerated out onto the A331 & was doing 80 indicated & still pulling hard when I noticed the speedo & reigned it in. I haven't filled it with fuel yet, so the economy (my main reason for the swap) is still a mystery. But in purely subjective terms it feels much more "willing".

;D

T

Ex_Member

The Flying Fridge !-gctid3472

Post by Ex_Member » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:23 pm

Update:-

A week of snow & temps down to -6.5 & the Fridge has been fantastic - a working heater would be good but ........

I tend to use it in preferance to my wife's Zafira or mother -in- law's Punto, partly because should I total it it's only £500 lost, but mostly because it's just so easy to know what's going on under the wheels, & with chains on the back it seemed to be just about unstoppable!

T

Ex_Member

The Flying Fridge !-gctid3478

Post by Ex_Member » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:34 am

Well, the time has come:-

RICKMAN RANGER CONV. FOR SALE :'(

See ad. in the for sale section.

Ex_Member

The Flying Fridge !-gctid3484

Post by Ex_Member » Tue May 17, 2011 11:34 am

GEARBOX WOES:-

There was a whine in time with the wheels, only when the engine was driving, tailshaft I though - bound to be. A guy I know through another car club had a five speed for sale - he'd had some trouble with the seletors, but "an engineer friend" had re-built it, £50 - bargain.

I swapped it after work one Friday afternoon, took it out for a drive & it still whined, but now it wouldn't go into fifth >:(

On the way back from Stoneligh I managed to get it to stay in gear by matching the engine speed to the road speed & letting the clutch up VERY slowly, but it's not a fix.

Plan B then was to take the known good five speed out of the Fury & replace it with a BGH, long first heavy duty job in preparation fot that car's Zetec swap, then the fury's box could go in the Ranger & the sale I've got lined up can go ahead.

The trouble with plan B is that BGH are "very busy" & need five to six weeks to get a gearbox to me :-/

So now it looks like I'll be swapping the good five speed into the ranger, the 4 / 5 speed temporarily into the Fury, then do it all again (to the fury) in a few weeks :'( In the mean time I've realised that the whine that started it all is probably coming from the gearbox crosmember which is installed slightly twisted, so not damping the vibration as it should, so there was almost certainly nothing wrong with the first gearbox (now disposed of of course) & I could've fixed it free of charge by doing a little welding on the X-member.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgh :-[

Also going on in the Hart house is a new job, & a Kitchen refurb (also being done by me) involving all new flooring, plastering, units, & work top.

Happy days.

T