The Flying Fridge !-gctid105

Do you have a Rickman related project ? Share it in the garage
- One thread per project please !
Ex_Member

The Flying Fridge !-gctid105

Post by Ex_Member » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:45 am

Off-topic I know, but the crossflow that came with the Flying Fridge (sold to me as an 1100, registered as a 1300 & finally proved to be a 711M 1600) fired & ran for the first time in it's new home on Saturday. Fisher Fury - in yellow - with a capital YELL! Took a little coaxing & a couple of batteries, but it started & ran - what a nice engine.

;D

Now back on the garage floor waiting a lumpy cam, & the twin Dellortos.

T

Ex_Member

The Flying Fridge !-gctid573

Post by Ex_Member » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:18 pm

What's been going on in my garage? My plan was to change the front shocks, go to rubber-mounted-rose-joint-swivel-upper-mount-thingies, then when I knew how high the front of the car was, buy new tyres for the Pug wheels with the correct aspect ratio to level it. Easy eh!

Hmm, upper mounts weren't the same PCD (in spite of checking with the supplier), so I spent an hour re-drilling the mounting holes & enlarging the central one (anyone got a tool that cuts 4mm steel plate as if it were cheese?). Gave up on that after doing one & decided to change the shocks but leave the top mounts for another day.

Then the near side track control arm joint wouldn't split, leading to a "pleasant" cycle to Halfrauds to be charged £16.50 for £1.50's worth of cast-iron-in-a-bubble-pack.

Eventually I sorted that & got it back together to find that in spite of one old shock working only "upwards" & the other not working at all, my £200 worth of funky adjustable shocks make depressingly little diference to the handling!

My wife describes these times as me "having fun". On this occasion, I'd have to disagree. My garage may be full of Fury, but yesterday the drive had it's fair share of (r)ANGER (see what I did there?)

T

Ex_Member

The Flying Fridge !-gctid938

Post by Ex_Member » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:49 am

OK, having taken it out once or twice more - once to "Wheels Day" it is actually MUCH better than it was before!

Ex_Member

The Flying Fridge !-gctid1235

Post by Ex_Member » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:23 am

"it is actually MUCH better than it was before!"

......... Until the clutch cable broke.

On the up side, I have found that because of the injection squirting petrol in independant of engine speed, it's easy to start it in first, just select gear, turn the gey, there's a small "lurch" & you're away! After a few clutchless gear changes & I'd got it home without the need for a tow truck.

;D

Ex_Member

The Flying Fridge !-gctid1480

Post by Ex_Member » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:26 am

.....Also changed the whole injection plenum for one I bought from Ebay. I decided not to mess with it, just bolt it on, & it seems to have cured the unstable idle - Oh that would be nice if it were true! Just needs some more suspension work & a polish before Stoneliegh now. I may even have the caravan available - luxury!

T

Simon_Admin
Rickman Guru

The Flying Fridge !-gctid1688

Post by Simon_Admin » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:15 pm

Ohhh,

Glad you have fixed the idle problem, it's nearly taken as long as the Derv conversion ;D, Are you going start putting bits of the old Plenum back until you find out which bit was causing the problem ?

Ex_Member

The Flying Fridge !-gctid1864

Post by Ex_Member » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:58 pm

Having decided that something really ought to be done when the front wheel bearing got louder than the engine, I had the offside hub in bits & found all the rollers & the races well pited, re-built it & took it for a test run, but there was still that heavy knocking in the steering. I asked my wife to rock the steering wheel while I prostrated myself under the car & sure enough the track control arm has gone on the same side. a pair of replacements is in the post.

T

Ex_Member

The Flying Fridge !-gctid2011

Post by Ex_Member » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:42 pm

Off topic I know because it's not on the Rickman, but my Fury passed SVA yesterday. Very happy indeed.

Ex_Member

The Flying Fridge !-gctid2137

Post by Ex_Member » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:17 pm

Great News, that must be quite a weight off your mind.

Eddie

Simon_Admin
Rickman Guru

The Flying Fridge !-gctid2238

Post by Simon_Admin » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:19 pm

So the Rickmans engine passed the SVA - Not bad !