so I bought a Rancher.....

Do you have a Rickman related project ? Share it in the garage
- One thread per project please !
LeeSample
Comittee Member

so I bought a Rancher.....

Post by LeeSample » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:31 pm

.....And didn't end up divorced lol

there is a long back story, which I wont bore you with. but in short, I ended up buying a Rancher from Trudy of this parish.

it was delivered to my Dads place for fault diagnosis, and put on the drive pending me getting some free time to play with it.

there was some damage to deal with - mostly cosmetic, but the filler cap was broken, and the front bumper was broken off its hanger on the drivers side.

the ignition switch/steering lock was broken also, but that was rectified with one that i got from my mate Matt.

more in a sec....

LeeSample
Comittee Member

Re: so I bought a Rancher.....

Post by LeeSample » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:45 pm

While i was busy playing with my other project, and holidays, and dad duties, my parents decided to surprise me by refreshing the interior to something a little lighter :-)

Dad rebuilt the kitchen area with Marine ply, and laid new carpet and industrial grade vinyl flooring. Mum reupholstered the seats and made some matching curtains.
while dad was doing the kitchen, he also noticed that the gas fridge wasn't connected to the flue vent, which could have been nasty! so that was reconnected :-)

not wanting to come across as idle, I set to with the wiring - always a favourite of mine in kit cars.....

this was slimmed down, and any scotchlocks and choc block replaced with the correct crimps or soldered joints. I also fitted an internal fuse box to protect all of the auxiliary circuits.

LeeSample
Comittee Member

Post by LeeSample » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:55 pm

the latest job was to manufacture a table. So a pair of brackets were fabricated and a section of bar procured. the bar slots in behind the front seats, and the table ( complete with fixings pinched from my parents caravan ) clips on to that, with the single leg completing the assembly.

it looks like a proper job :-)

A battery charge indicator has been fitted to keep an eye on the leisure battery, and we have also 'borrowed' the consumer unit/mains battery charger from the caravan to fit into this if we can find a good place to put it. this will mean that when it is on electric hook up, it will also charge the leisure battery :-)

we carried out a compression test on the engine, and it flagged up one of the cylinders as having low compression. this could be a head gasket issue, or it could be an errant valve. at this point we don't know, so we are going to pull the head off and take a look. either way, a new head gasket will be fitted, new cam belt, and we may get the head totally reworked (possibly with hardened valve seats fitted), and all of the valves reground to the seats. I'll be doing this on sunday, so will get some pictures and post them up here.

The filler cap has been replaced, the bumpers fixed and repainted, and some new LED striplights installed in the living space.

the plan is to try and get it sorted ready for a small trip in November, and then the winter will see lots of cleaning and polishing, along with a few finishing touches.

more to follow as it happens

RichardS
Rickman Guru

Post by RichardS » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:18 pm

Well done Lee,
It's nice to see these unique vehicles being cared for and being used as they should, mine has given us so much fun over the few years that we have had her. On a technical note, if your gas fridge works that's fine but mine didn't and leaked gas so was replaced first with a cool box and then with an electrical cold box powered by 12/240v, a significant improvement if only because the gas bottle isn't that big and I dislike the idea of the gas being on all the time. Mine could do with a bit of refreshing in the upholstery department so maybe I'll bring it around for your mum to sort out!
Keep on Ranching!
Richard

LeeSample
Comittee Member

Post by LeeSample » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:10 am

Cheers Richard.

The gas fridge works ok, and we have a gas alarm fitted too, so hopefully there will be no issues. in any event, the fridge will most likely spend the majority of it's time running on mains hook up, so it wont be a problem ;)

Out of interest, what tyre pressures do you run on yours?

Lee

LeeSample
Comittee Member

Post by LeeSample » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:19 am

Photos to follow, as i'm waiting for them to upload to Flickr.......

at the weekend me and Dad set to with the head removal. first off came the timing belt cover, closely followed by the coolant hoses, and then the exhaust manifold:

next up the inlet manifold

and then the timing belt. finally the head was off!

We had a good look at the head gasket, and couldn't see anything untoward, and there were no obvious signs of failure on the head. so some head scratching ensued (ours, not the cylinder head :lol: ) and we decided to do a quick check on the valves - we turned the head upside down, ensured the valves were shut on the problem cylinder, and then filled the combustion chamber with paraffin. this way, we could see if any leaked through either the inlet valve or the exhaust valve.

lo and behold, paraffin leaked through the exhaust valve. RESULT! we now know that the low compression was down to a leaky exhaust valve.

next step is to get the head away to a local engineering firm to get the head cleaned up, hardened valve seats put in the exhaust side, and then get all the valves lapped in - then of course it would be rude not to paint the head while it's off....... 8-)

a new gasket set, head bolts, and cambelt are on the way, so we will hopefully see it back to rude health this side of christmas.

more to follow as it happens.

Lee

LeeSample
Comittee Member

Post by LeeSample » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:08 pm

:Last weekend I managed to get the head to the local engine reconditioners. The guy is absolutely brilliant and very helpful.

the current state of play is that he is dismantling the head to assess what is required, and then advising of next steps. from a cursory inspection we are looking at the following:

hardened exhaust valve seats being fitted
valve guides being replaced, possibly just on the exhaust valves, but likely on them all
all valves reground, with the possibility of new valves being needed
possible new cam bearings
chemical clean
pressure test
light skim if needed

once this is all done it should be as good as new!

we have new head bolts, cam belt, head gasket, inlet and exhaust gaskets and all of the other sundries required to refit it all.

can't wait till this is all done, it will be like a new engine 8-)

while all this has been going on, we filled two of the bores with oil (one the suspect cylinder, one as a control) and, whilst they have gone down a little as expected, they have both gone down by the same amount, so it looks like the bottom end is all good.

more to follow as it happens.

Lee

LeeSample
Comittee Member

Post by LeeSample » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:05 pm

On saturday I picked up the head from the engineering shop - they have done an amazing job, everything looks like brand new, and they even went to the trouble of painting the relevant parts for me for no extra cost!

if anyone is around the bedford area, and wants any work doing, i can thoroughly recommend T&L engineering. top guys, and excellent service.

pics and hopefully rebuilding progress to follow soon...

Lee

LeeSample
Comittee Member

Post by LeeSample » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:07 pm

forgot to say, the list of work is as follows:

hardened exhaust valve seats
valve guides replaced
all valves reground
new cam bearings
new camshaft
new followers
chemical clean
pressure test
light skim
paint.

RichardS
Rickman Guru

Post by RichardS » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:24 pm

I'm glad to see it all coming together. In a previous post you asked about the tyre pressures I use, when I got mine no one appeared to know what they should be so I inflate mine to that of the contempary smallest Ford Transit with the same tyre size which is 41 lbs/in front and rear and its been fine. I hope that this helps.
Richard.